[OpenAFS] OpenAFS 1.0.4a & Win2000 clients

Shyh-Wei Luan luan@almaden.ibm.com
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 10:26:00 -0700

The problem is being worked on.  The current thinking is that, during the
installation, the user will be prompted to select one of the options for a
valid CellServDB file.

(1) provide a file path, or browse to it
(2) provide an http address
(3) use the one available at
http://grand.central.org/dl/cellservdb/CellServDB
(4) use a static copy of the grand.central.org at the time of the binary
release

The installation process of a new version of the client will keep the
existing CellServDB (WINNT\afsdcell.ini).

The installation process will also ask the user to enter/select a home cell
and configure the drive letter mapping.  The idea is that, after the
installation, no further configuration will be needed.   The user just need
to do authentication.

Comments on the above proposed changes are welcome.

The misleading error message should be fixed too.

Shyh-Wei

ps.  I'd really like to see cells and clients start to use the DNS-based
cell lookup solution.   Requiring the static CellServDB file to be
up-to-date on each client machine is not very nice.

Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>@openafs.org on 07/11/2001 05:33:59 AM

Sent by:  openafs-info-admin@openafs.org