[OpenAFS] HOWTO for installation on 7.1

Jeremy Katz katzj@linuxpower.org
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 01:08:35 -0400

On Monday, July 02 2001, Derek Atkins said:
> Eduo <eduo@ciateq.mx> writes:
> > 2.-Are the binary rpm files for OpenAFS usable? Or should i better get the
> > sources and compile it myself?
>
> Some people have had success with the binary RPMs, and some people
> have not.  I have been unable to figure out why it works for some
> and not for others.  My guess is that Red Hat ships something like
> 6 different kernels that use 5 different sets of symbols version,
> all different.  This means that we would need 5 different kernel
> modules for each red hat 'kernel'.
>
> Unfortunately, due to naming, there is no way to figure out which one
> to use given the current loading scheme.  I'm working on fixing that,
> too.

It is impossible to compile a kernel of a different architecture and
SMP/UP nature that doesn't have different symbols.  The mechanisms
provided by /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build/include/linux/rhconfig.h and
/boot/kernel.h handle this quite nicely for building modules on the
machine you are on.  Unfortunately, it breaks down somewhat when you're
trying to build for other machines as the build does bring in the
specifics of your kernel.  Most of this can already be handled by proper
use of defines, but not all of it yet.  The bits you can allow you to
create i586 and i686 kernel module packages (if you build the source
package with --target and some makefile munging so you can have a "just
build modules" option).  Then, you just grab the proper architecture
openafs-kernel package just like you do when upgrading your kernel or
glibc.

Cheers,

Jeremy

--