[OpenAFS] I have a couple of newbie questions

Derrick J Brashear Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org>
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 10:26:08 -0400 (EDT)

[I'm deliberately ccing the list on this in the hopes that other people
might find this answer if they come along later and have the same
questions, or perhaps for a not-yet-extant FAQ; I do read the list so
please don't mail both me and the list]

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, todd glassey wrote:

> I apologize but I new to this - but I am interested in generating forensic
> evidence of what happens inside a AFS file system. This will take a better
> grade of time (ntp) setup and some timestamping extensions as well as some
> logging extensions.
>
> What I am looking for is a method of altering what runntp puts into the
> NTP.CONF files.
>
> I am also looking for a better degree of logging from the AFS daemons and
> the inetd.afs instance. Does anyone have any feedback on wither of these
> subjects? Please send it to me directly not to the list. I do not want to
> bother the list with this.

The README.INSECURE and README.OBSOLETE suggest using neither the ntp nor
the inetd that come with OpenAFS. I wrote those READMEs, and my opinion
has not changed. The NTP in OpenAFS is obsolete. The inetd in OpenAFS is
screaming to be attacked. NTP will not be replaced as there's a perfectly
good modern NTP distribution that Dave Mills has been enhancing for years.
inetd will not be modernized because it's non-standard and there are
perfectly good alternate solutions. I suggest you take those READMEs to
heart and drop the bundled NTP and inetd in favor of the alternate
solutions suggested.

-D