[OpenAFS] MS Loopback (was: Long Machine Names)

Cameron, Frank cameron@ctc.com
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 08:21:33 -0400

I've been intending to update the list on this.  On W2K the
'IBM AFS Client' service does not start on a RAS connection;
from the error code it looks like it fails as it tries to
register the NetBIOS name.  I have been able to get it to
work by adding a loopback adapter with only IP bound to it,
WINS and DNS disabled, and a non-routable IP address (that
isn't used on our network).  Now the client behaves like it
does on an NT system: at boot the service fails, but, after
establishing the PPP connection the service can be started
(if the user has local admin priviledges).

-frank