Correction - [OpenAFS] Win2K command line drive mapping

Dj Merrill deej@thayer.dartmouth.edu
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 18:20:02 -0400

James Peterson wrote:

> Sorry about my previously incomplete message.
>
> You are correct Global Drive Mapping doesn't seem to work.   I'll look into
> it.
>
> You can use NET USE to map your drives.
>    Set Start AFS Client when computer starts
>    place in your logon script:  net use T: \\yourComputerName-afs\yourPath
>
> Win2k:
>    yourComputerName can be located by looking at the properties/Network
>    Identification of "MyComputer" icon.
>    yourPath can be \afs\ShareName or \afs\CellName\SubPath - ShareName is
>    one that you had defined from the AFS Client; CellName must match an
>    entry in located in the CellSrvDB.   SubPath can be directory path.
>    There are some cases that net use won't accept CellName\path; however,
>    ShareName always works.

Hi James,
    I appreciate your help, and have finally found some time to play with this.

I'm running across some inconsistent behaviour which is puzzling me.
I have three Windows 2000 machines that are setup in an similar
configuration.  All are running Service Pack 2 and OpenAFS 1.04a.
OpenAFS is setup to obtain a token upon login.
All are part of a domain served by a Samba 2.2.1a PDC.
I have a login script:
net use t: \\%ComputerName%-afs\afs

    All have TCP/IP and NetBEUI as installed protocols, and
have Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP selected.  All obtain
an IP and network information via DHCP.

    On one of the machines, I am able to login with a PDC domain
account that also has an equivalent named account in AFS, and it
will map the drive T: and allow me to access the AFS space.

    One the other two machines, I get:
net use t: \\TESTSMB-afs\afs  (with "testsmb" being the name of one machine)
System error 67 has occurred.
The network name cannot be found.
    This same error occurs if I try to type this command as well.

    On all three machines I am able to obtain a token upon login,
and am able to use the dynamic "Drive Mapping" tab to map
a drive into afs space, and access AFS files.  It seems the basic
functionality of AFS is working, but on two of the machines
the command line mapping does not.

    I can't see any obvious differences between the
machine configurations.  The only difference
(that I know of) in the way that the machines
were setup is that the machine that works
was originally setup with SP1, and then configured
with OpenAFS, then upgraded to SP2.
The other two machines were installed
"fresh", upgraded to SP2, and then configured
for OpenAFS.

    Any ideas where I might be going wrong?

-Dj

--
---
Dj Merrill                          Thayer School of Engineering

"On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section, it
said 'Requires Windows 95 or better'. So I installed Linux."   - Anonymous