[OpenAFS] 1.1.0 client on RH 7.1

Patrick J. LoPresti patl@curl.com
24 Jul 2001 11:26:57 -0400

Paolo Saggese <NOSPAM@lngs.infn.it> writes:

> Well, when you upgrade a package which provides some service, the usual
> practice is to add some preinst/postinst script to the RPM in order to
> stop the service before the upgrade (preinst run /etc/init.d/afs stop)
> and start it again after the upgrade has completed (i.e. start again in
> the postinst script).
>
> I guess this is what you'd like to have in the OpenAFS spec file, too...

In a large installation, the logical place to keep a collection of
RPMs is in AFS itself.  So it should be possible to upgrade AFS using
packages living under /afs; that is, while AFS itself is running.

In my opinion, it would be better to have /afs unowned by any package
than to need to stop AFS before performing an upgrade.  (Assuming
those are the only options, of course; I do not know enough about RPM
to be sure.)

 - Pat