[OpenAFS] Implied 'a' rights?

Patrick J. LoPresti patl@curl.com
25 Jul 2001 17:10:22 -0400

Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> writes:

> The owner of a directory appears as its UNIX owner, and has implicit 'a'
> rights on the directory.  The owner of a volume is the same as the owner
> of its top-level directory, and has implicit 'a' rights on every directory
> in the volume.

I have read the IBM AFS documentation fairly carefully, so I knew that
the owner of a directory had implicit 'a' rights on the directory.

But I do not recall reading that the owner of a volume has implicit
'a' rights on the volume, so I am wondering: Are there any other
implicit 'a' rights out there?

In my ideal world, having 'a' rights on a directory would
automatically imply 'a' rights to every directory within.  That would
allow us to dish out administrative control from any point in AFS
space all the way down.

 - Pat