[OpenAFS] 1.1.0 client on RH 7.1

Rudolph T Maceyko rtm@cert.org
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 14:43:20 -0400

Derek,

--On Thursday, July 26, 2001 13:54:39 -0400 Derek Atkins
<warlord@MIT.EDU> wrote:

> Rudolph T Maceyko <rtm@cert.org> writes:
>
>> You could certainly do that, but I think it's slightly more
>> confusing  than making individual symlinks as I did.
>
> How is it more confusing?  Isn't the point so that scripts that
> hard-code /usr/afsws/{bin,etc}/blah don't fail?

Yes.  I'd be happy for you to include compatibility links of some kind.
But I prefer the individual links because there is less pollution of
the resulting system.

I can think of two concrete reasons to avoid putting more under
/usr/afsws than was there on stock Transarc systems:

- $PATH issues

PATH=$HOME/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/afsws/bin:/usr/afsws/etc:/usr/X11R6/
bin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/kerberosIV/bin:/bin:/usr/bin

If I expect to get /usr/kerberos/bin/telnet when I type "telnet" I will
be surprised when I run your AFS compat RPM because I'll get
/usr/afsws/bin/telnet (-> /usr/bin/telnet) instead!

Most "legacy" Transarc AFS sites will have /usr/afsws in $PATH...

- autoconf-ish issues

I don't want to have software find /usr/afsws/lib/libblah.so instead of
/usr/lib/libblah.so!

Rudy