[OpenAFS] 1.1.0 client on RH 7.1

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
26 Jul 2001 14:48:59 -0400

Rudolph T Maceyko <rtm@cert.org> writes:

> - $PATH issues
>
> PATH=$HOME/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/afsws/bin:/usr/afsws/etc:/usr/X11R6/
> bin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/kerberosIV/bin:/bin:/usr/bin

Well, a script with this PATH will find most of the AFS programs, even
if /usr/afsws doesn't exist (/usr/bin is in the path).  Granted, it
wont find stuff in /usr/sbin.

> If I expect to get /usr/kerberos/bin/telnet when I type "telnet" I will
> be surprised when I run your AFS compat RPM because I'll get
> /usr/afsws/bin/telnet (-> /usr/bin/telnet) instead!

Fair enough.

> Most "legacy" Transarc AFS sites will have /usr/afsws in $PATH...

If they only expect to get to applications via the PATH, then I
suspect it is reasonable to assume that /usr/bin is in the path.  I
admit that it may not be quite as reasonable to expect /usr/sbin in
the path.

> - autoconf-ish issues
>
> I don't want to have software find /usr/afsws/lib/libblah.so instead of
> /usr/lib/libblah.so!

Good point.

> Rudy

-derek