[OpenAFS] 1.1.0 client on RH 7.1

Rudolph T Maceyko rtm@cert.org
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 13:46:35 -0400

Derek,

--On Thursday, July 26, 2001 13:37:09 -0400 Derek Atkins
<warlord@MIT.EDU> wrote:

> Right, for each client you maintain, you install a bunch of RPMS.  You
> don't install the RPMS on one machine and then 'dd' or 'tar' the
> filesystem out, right?  You let RPM keep track of the files on each
> client machine.
>
> AFS should fit in just with that.  What's the point of /usr/afsws in a
> Red Hat (Debian, Mandrake, SuSE) world?  Most users wouldn't know or
> care.  So, files get installed where a normal user of Linux would
> expect to find them (at least in most cases).

I misunderstood what you were talking about.  Of course we're
installing the RPMs and not copying their contents to the local hosts.
I'm trying to figure out what you originally intended that lead to this
conclusion...

Anyway, the presence of /usr/afsws/bin/blah and /usr/afsws/etc/blah
links is merely to allow other scripts that haven't been updated yet to
keep running even though they expect the AFS utils to be in those
locations.  That's what the openafs-client-compat RPM is doing.

Rudy