[OpenAFS] 1.1.0 client on RH 7.1

Jan Hrabe hrabe@balrog.aecom.yu.edu
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 15:33:02 -0400

> Anyway, the presence of /usr/afsws/bin/blah and /usr/afsws/etc/blah
> links is merely to allow other scripts that haven't been updated yet to
> keep running even though they expect the AFS utils to be in those
> locations.  That's what the openafs-client-compat RPM is doing.
>
> Rudy

While I agree it is nice to fit the file location pattern of the platform,
we should perhaps keep in mind all the other platforms AFS runs
on. My AIX and Solaris machines have also AFS clients and need
to use various AFS scripts. From this point of view, it is much easier
to do so if locations are identical on all of them. There may be sites
living in Linux-only world but often it's not so easy. Symbolic links
to the necessary files seem like a nice solution. The links could
point the other way though (from /usr/afsws/bin/blah to /bin/blah)
for higher backwards compatibility.

As for the server, I don't see any need for RPM, especially for upgrades
(at least for us). bos install and the update server work quite nicely
so it's really just a single machine for each platform that needs
the manual update. Putting the server files in "system" place like /usr/sbin
does not seem like a good solution for the upserver file distribution.
Am I missing something?

Honza