[OpenAFS] ...Those That Help Themselves

Jimmy Engelbrecht jimmy-li@e.kth.se
01 Jun 2001 15:48:43 +0200

Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu> writes:

> We are particularly interested in it because it promises to supply
> clients for platforms that commercial AFS has lacked, or only
> marginally supported.  (I work a lot with MacOS 10 and FreeBSD,
> for instance).

If you want Support for FreeBSD (or NetBSD and OpenBSD) & MacOS X i am
pretty sure that the following implementation will work better:

http://www.stacken.kth.se/projekt/arla/

However arla has no fileserver for production yet, and lacks support
for many plattforms that are supported by OpenAFS. Which means you
will end up with running both arla and openafs, the only plattform
where you have a real choice is i386_linux, since both openafs and
arla works well here.

> I, personally, am a little skittish of running production file
> servers on linux boxes, so I'm hoping to see openafs for openbsd
> or freebsd.  The fact that I do have experience with freebsd and
> openbsd probably influences that desire...

the idea with arla was bringing arla to the 3 open and free BSD's. I
am sure it works well.

/Jimmy, KTH