[OpenAFS] campus usage info request

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
07 Jun 2001 15:12:30 -0700

Michael Pelletier <mvpel@alteon.com> writes:

> What are the key differences between Open AFS and IBM/Transarc AFS at
> this point in time?

So far as I know, not that much; OpenAFS now supports several more
platforms that Transarc AFS doesn't, doesn't have support for a few
platforms (maybe only HP-UX?) that Transarc AFS does have support for, and
has a few bug fixes and some feature improvements not in Transarc AFS.

> Support issues aside, why would one choose one over the other?

Mostly additional platform support.  Transarc AFS arguably has more
extensive internal testing, which might be a reason to consider it over
OpenAFS at this point in time (particularly for the server end), but I
expect this may change with time.