[OpenAFS] AFS servers (vl, file, & db) behind NAT

Brett Johnson mlafsinfo@k50.net
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:21:59 -0500

I had this happen to me when I was doing a test setup also using a
FireWall-1 4.1.

Since I used to work in the Check Point support center, here's the official
can'd answer:

"A special module for the service in question would have to be written to
capture and translate the IP address that got through.  Professional
Services could do this for a fee, or if there is enough demand, it will
eventually be written in."

Short answer:  AFS server has to be a routable, non-NAT IP address.  I
solved my problem by subnetting my class C and putting the AFS servers
there.

Just as a side note, I've had fairly good luck with the CLIENT (not server)
behind translation.

As NAT is a common setup, this would be a nice Request For Enhancements to
our programmer friends. :)

B++ / K90, Inc.