[OpenAFS] A question about volume replication

Hartmut Reuter reuter@rzg.mpg.de
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:43:33 +0200

wangkun@legend.com wrote:

> I have three servers machines in my cell,one first server,two addtional
> server.All the three are both file server and database server.
> I made an examination on volume replication to see what could happen by
> replicating some volumes on all the three machines. In my oppinion:
>       when the first server corrupts,AFS system can run normally;
>       when the machine with the original R/W volume corrputs,other readonly
> copys can work proper           although they refuse any modification.
> But nothing desirable happened!I saw that:
>       when the first server corrupts,AFS system dies.
>       when the machine with the original R/W volume corrputs,you can not
> see the directory on which the R/W volume has mounted,saying nothing of
> access it or its readonly copys.
> I must make some mistake and need help.Thanks in advance.

As I wrote in my previous reply: in order to get the RO volume this must
be mounted in another RO-volume and this back the whole path to /afs.
This makes sense only for volumes with a constant contents. in order to
get the RW-volume you either must have mounted it in another RW volume
or with the -rw option. There is no mechanism that switches from RW to
RO in the case the RW volume is gone.

Hartmut