[OpenAFS] (can't find cell 'afsvol' in cell database)

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
14 Jun 2001 12:17:31 -0400

Um, no..  You are confused about the differences between /usr/afs/etc
and /usr/vice/etc.  /usr/afs/etc/ThisCell and /usr/afs/etc/CellServDB
are specifically for the server processes and control the Cell
information for an AFS Server, whereas the similarly-named files
/usr/vice/etc/{ThisCell,CellServDB} are specifically for the AFS
client and client applications.  The former files are created for the
servers, whereas the latter are used by the client.

When setting up a server you should add the contents of
/usr/afs/etc/CellServDB to /usr/vice/etc/CellServDB.  However, there
is no requirement that an AFS client and AFS server running on the
same host actually be in the same AFS Cell.  For example, a host can
be a server for the foo.com cell but be a client for the bar.com cell.

I conceed that perhaps /usr/vice/etc/{ThisCell,CellServDB} should be
distributed as part of the "openafs" package instead of the
"openafs-client" package.  I can change that for future distributions.

-derek