[OpenAFS] Re: [OpenAFS-devel] Soft mounts for /afs root

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
14 Jun 2001 12:21:05 -0400

Ted McCabe <ted@MIT.EDU> writes:

> I have a lot of trouble picturing how the implicit approach would
> make sense to a user.

Really?  The automounter, which does implicit mounting, has been in
wide use for many years and users seem to understand it.  Similarly,
'attach' (which is more like a manual automounter) is just as 'hard'
to understand.  Indeed, I can see arguments either way.

>From a security standpoint, I think the decision to be implicit or
explicit should be a run-time option.  As a user, I'd very much like
the implicit method.  That would certainly solve the 'FileViewer'
problem because only previously-accessed cells would show up in
a listing of /afs.

>     --Ted

-derek