[OpenAFS] Re: [OpenAFS-devel] Soft mounts for /afs root

Harald Barth haba@pdc.kth.se
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 14:10:17 +0200

> We'd like to get feedback from the AFS user community regarding this
> project.  Does it seem like a useful function?  Any specific features
> that people feel we should include?  Also, we would like to know if work
> is already underway on such a project.

Arla supports the creation of such a replacement /afs with the
--dynroot (or -D) option. The implementation was started July 1999 and
has been documented and useful since September 2000. The current
implementation needs the cell names to be listed (but not necessarily
their database servers if you use AFSDRRs) in the CellServDB. I'm
working on an implementation that does not have any need for a
root.cell or CellServDB, starting out with an empty /afs and learns
cells on the fly. I will talk about that at the AFS workshop which is
coming up at USENIX.

Harald.