[OpenAFS] vice partition sizes, and large disks

chas williams chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Sat, 16 Jun 2001 05:37:59 -0400

In message <3B2ABB1C.5E1C820E@umr.edu>,Nathan Neulinger writes:
>What raid controller/software are you using where a disk failure makes
>the raid read-only... Yuck. That kindof defeats the purpose of raid5. If

i wouldnt say it defeats the purpose.  after a single drive fails you
are on thin ice.  if the raid volume goes readonly you are forced
to take action.  it was an artecon system btw.  i thought disksuite
did something similar with its raid5 implementation but i could be
wrong.  i briefly tried it and never went past performance testing.
it works fine for striping drives.

>As far as the performance goes, rx is the bottleneck... we've got some
>raid controllers that can do 20MB/sec sustained (Chapparal), but still
>only get 3mb/sec vos dumps.

i am not convinced that rx is the problem.  especially for the
vos dump.

>I would think that the ufs logging would work ok if you ran the namei
>server on solaris, but have never tried it.

yeah, i keep forgetting to try that.  the only problem really is that
migrating between the regular and namei interface wont be fun.  it
would very handy though.