[OpenAFS] vice partition sizes, and large disks

Bill Zumach zumach@bellatlantic.net
Sat, 16 Jun 2001 11:39:18 -0400

> In message <200106161507.PAA32863269@smtp6ve.mailsrvcs.net>,Bill Zumach write
> s:
> >That's a good start. Linux 2.2.18 is about 7,000 files, so if 3 users
> >are un-taring at the same time we're up to about 21,000 files. Where I'm
> >going with this is that you also want to check what happens when the log fil
> ls
>
> just some more silly tests (i did a umount/mount between these tests so
> that should flush the log):
>
>   1000 real        0.2 user        0.0 sys         0.1
>   5000 real        1.8 user        0.0 sys         0.8
>  10000 real        3.8 user        0.0 sys         1.5
>  20000 real        8.3 user        0.1 sys         3.1
>  50000 real       25.8 user        0.2 sys         8.0
> 100000 real       56.5 user        0.5 sys        17.5
>
> if you graph that, it seems pretty linear so i dont think that i am
> filling up the log.  the test partition is 10G, which implies (according
> to the man page) a 10M logfile.  cool eh?
That looks good. I'd guess they're writing the transactions back frequently
enough. Once the OS has a chance to properly order the blocks it writes to
disk one can get this sort of performance for creates.

BTW, are you creating all these files in the same directory? I would not have
thought the create times would start to be non-linear just becase of the
time taken to look up file names in the directory.

Bill Zumach