[OpenAFS] Byte-level-locking and Excel Spreadsheets

Sam Hartman hartmans@mit.edu
22 Jun 2001 07:51:46 -0400

    Thomas> Hi Everyone, I searched through the archive and couldn't
    Thomas> find a answer.

    Thomas> 1. Is byte-level-locking anywhere on the horizon?  2. Has
    Thomas> anyone tested multi-user excel spreadsheets being accessed
    Thomas> off AFS? I have a internal customer who is concerned that
    Thomas> AFS will break their multi-user excel spreadsheets where
    Thomas> his group is accessing them all at once, because record
    Thomas> locking == byte-range-locking.  Has anyone had this issue?

Yep, I'm fairly certain you will break quite nicely in this case.

    Thomas> 3. Strange question was asked: If you use Samba with
    Thomas> byte-range-locking, and afs patch's, can you do
    Thomas> byte-range-locking on a AFS file system accessing it via

I believe this will work if you have exactly one Samba server.  I'm
likely to test and recommend this solution to a client in the near
future.