[OpenAFS] redhat 7.1 kernel modules

Troy Dawson dawson@fnal.gov
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 08:48:45 -0500

> On Friday, June 22 2001, T. Matthew Cocker said:
> > I had the same problem with redhat 7.1. I could not compile the openafs src
> > or the openafs-kernel src (from rpm) vs the redhat supplied kernel src
> > (some thing about missing kernel headers apparently due to redhat playing
> > around this the kernel source headers). Solution get a real kernel source
> > (kernel.org, either 2.4.2 or 2.4.4) and your problems will go away.

Perhaps it is because you didn't have the kernel header installed.  It's very
possible to install the kernel-source rpm, but not the kernel-headers, I've
had many of our users do that.

# rpm -qa |grep kernel
kernel-source-2.4.2-2
kernel-headers-2.4.2-2
kernel-2.4.2-2
kernel-smp-2.4.2-2
#

> Actually, it's more due to OpenAFS making bad assumptions about where
> people's kernel source will live.
>
> According to Linus, the current canonical location to look for kernel
> source is /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build/.  Unfortunately, most 2.2
> kernels don't follow this convention (not due to any fault of their own,
> they came out before Linus came to this decision.  My packages
> (ftp://kickstart.linux.ncsu.edu/pub/realmkit/7.1/SRPMS/RealmKit/openafs*)
> do the correct thing at the cost of not working with distributions or
> kernels that aren't as up to date.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jeremy

An interesting thought, and for a bit there I was thinking that redhat
actually was fully doing what Linus said, but I was wrong.  RedHat just made
sure that the modules are in both places at once.  I'm not saying that's a bad
thing though, rather smart actually.

# ls -l /lib/modules/2.4.2-2smp/ | grep build
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           28 Jun 18 09:55 build ->
../../../usr/src/linux-2.4.2
#

But I am going to try your rpm though and see if it works.  I'll let you know
the results.

Troy Dawson
Troy Dawson  dawson@fnal.gov  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/OSS  SCS Group