[OpenAFS] redhat 7.1 kernel modules

Jonathan Day jd9812@my-deja.com
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 07:46:28 -0700

> Troy Dawson <dawson@fnal.gov>Cc: openafs-info@openafs.org
> Re: [OpenAFS] redhat 7.1 kernel modules Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>Date: 22 Jun 2001 10:23:54 -0400
>
>The actual kernel headers in RH7.1 come NOT from the kernel-headers
>RPM as you would expect, but from the kernel-source RPM.  The
>kernel-headers RPM installs the necessary headers for normal
>user-space compilations to work (into /usr/include/linux et. al.).  It
>does not provide the necessary kernel headers to compile a kernel
>module; those come from the kernel-source RPM.
<snip>

Sorry about entering into this discussion late, but I thought I'd just throw my 0.002 units of local currency's worth in.

Red Hat has this rather irritating habit of putting the headers into two spaces - /usr/include/ and /usr/src/linux/include/. This has two effects:

First, upgrading a kernel won't necessarily upgrade both sets of headers. The result of this is that it's impossible to be sure that the kernel you're using and the modules compiled against it are for the same version.

Second, if you're cross-compiling, you have absulutely no idea what assembler headers you're using.

I try to encourage users and developers, AS STANDARD, to eliminate the /usr/include/[linux, asm] directories, and symlink to the main tree, even if the main tree just has those two directories. In the end, it does save a lot of stress and may reduce your Dilbert Index to within bounds the human frame was designed to stand.

On a related note, I notice that OpenAFS -only- seems to compile for Linux 2.4.2 (the kernel that came with RH 7.1 - Seawolf). Are there any reports of people getting AFS to run under Linux 2.4.5 or later?

--== Sent via Deja.com ==--
http://www.deja.com/