Getting started from Redhat RPMs. Was Re: [OpenAFS] compiling for SuSE 7.1

Matthew Easton matthew@sublunar.com
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 22:52:33 -0700

I believe this was my problem:

New Redhat installation + masqueraded connection to internet + no dns server
on the local network ---(etc/hosts, ought to be adequate for the local
resolution of 5 machines).

Even though I fill in all the proper information during the installation,
the hostname command returns localhost.localdomain.  I corrected this AFTER
I had installed AFS from the rpms-- or to be more precise -during the
configuraton.  (I'm lame, I know)  Needless to say, the configuration was
not right... servers looking for the loopback address, etc.

So to answer your question Tariq, I doubt my AFS newbie drama has
much insight to offer you, unless perhaps your server is configured in such
a way that temporarily losing touch with your DNS or NIS server happens to
cause a lookup to an incorrect /etc/hosts entry during a critical operation.

Things are looking up.  I've got a server going. A second server is next,
and like Thomas Cherryhomes, I'm interested in sharing to pre-OSX
Macintoshes.  --Though in my case, kerboros isn't necessary.