[OpenAFS] getting /usr from AFS (i.e., installing OpenAFS client on a fs tree other than /usr) :-?

Paolo Saggese NOSPAM@lngs.infn.it
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 14:57:36 +0200

Hi everybody,

=09i have a question for you, guys (hope this is the right place to ask i=
t!).
I manage a number of Linux PCs and, since the number of machines is quick=
ly=20
increasing, keeping all of them up-to-date is becoming a problem.

Here we have a local AFS cell, so I tought I may try to use it to make my=
=20
life simpler... by mounting the whole "/usr" tree via AFS on all the host=
s.

[then I may easily (and quickly) update the rest of the system (which is =
not=20
so much) using, say, something like rsync].

But I have a problem... the openafs RPMs installs everything under /usr, =
and=20
I have also noticed that /usr/something paths are hard-coded into many of=
 the
openafs executables.

But, of course, for what I'd like to do I need to install afs (or at leas=
t=20
the client , /vice and any other required stuff) in some other path, let'=
 say=20
to put the binaries into /bin and/or /sbin, libraries under /lib, vice un=
der=20
/vice, etc.

Is it possible to do that, somehow?=20

(and, if the answer is positive, how? 8:-)

Ciao,
=09=09=09=09Paolo.

--
http://borex.lngs.infn.it/saggese
You can still escape from the GATES of hell: Use Linux!