[OpenAFS] readonly/readwrite

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
01 Mar 2001 10:38:15 -0500

ReadWrite (RW) volumes are volumes that can be read from and written
to.  ReadOnly (RO) volumes are, obviously, read-only and cannot be
written to by clients.  RO volumes are generally called 'clones', and
are 'copied' from a RW volume.

Generally, you use RO volumes for system software or large file sets
that don't change very often.  In order to change a RO volume, you
have to specifically mount the RW volume, make the file changes, and
then "release" the volume to the RO clones.

For homedirectories you definitely want a _just_ a RW volume.

-derek