[OpenAFS] readonly/readwrite

Corey Kovacs ckovacs@DEPAUW.EDU
Thu, 01 Mar 2001 11:20:19 -0500

> Second, the organization of things.  People generally recommended not
> to put hundreds or thousands of home directories in the same parent
> directory, because ls time goes into the toilet.  What we ended up
> doing was creating a volume called "users" mounted at
> /afs/<cell>/users.  Inside that, we have two layers of subdirectories
> corresponding to the first two characters of the username to break
> things up.  So for example, my "wngdn" account is at
> /afs/<cell>/users/w/n/wngdn, and that directory is a mount point for
> my personal volume (users.wngdn).
>
> Then to make things less confusing for the users, we created a volume
> called "home" and mounted it at /afs/<cell>/home, and populated it
> with symlinks to people's actual home directories.  So,
> /afs/<cell>/home/wngdn points to /afs/<cell>/users/w/n/wngdn.
>
> Then, we made a symlink in root.afs (/afs) called "home" and pointed
> at /afs/<cell>/home.  What we tell users is that their home directory
> is /afs/home/<username>, which is short and sweet.

So far this makes sense, the terms readonly and readwrite simply refer to
access from a users standpoint

i.e. I create readonly volumes for system stuff that I
want to have consistant across machines (and not let users muck with). for

example if I want to add the latest and greatest copy of my favorite
window
manager and X, I could make a readonly volume for say /usr/X11 and call it

usr.X11, or should it be root.cell.usr.X11? then create a mount point at
say
/afs/cellname/usr.X11 and symlink it to /usr/X11. Then when I make changes

to /afs/cellname/usr/X11 I'd do a vos release? Is this correct?

Then for users, I create a r/w volume called home or users or whatever,
then mount
it at say /afs/cellname/home. Now do I create volumes for each user, then
mount them
at places like

/afs/cellname/home/user1
/afs/cellname/home/user2
then creating a symlink from /afs/cellname/home to /home on each machine?
Or can I
simply go into that volume and do a mkdir user1, user2 ...

I suppose if I am even in the right ball park I could just as easily make
the spot in AFS
space their home directory instead of /home/user1 etc.

so to recap (kind of) readonly for stuff like system binaries, and
read/write for
stuff like home directories. And the only things that nead to be
"released" are
read only volumes after I make a change to them. Is this right?

Thanx again for all the help.

Also, in case anyone cares, this is going to be for a Linux lab at the
school I work at
for use by students (less than 200 users total)

--
Corey Kovacs               "I know not with what weapons World War III
Computer Science Dept.      will be fought, but World War IV will be