[OpenAFS] readonly/readwrite

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Thu, 01 Mar 2001 11:32:45 -0500

[If you reply to this, please don't reply to me and the list]

--On Thursday, March 01, 2001 11:01:28 AM -0500 Nathan Rawling
<nrawling@firedrake.net> wrote:

> Actually, greater granularity in the permissions system would be
> nice. Things like the Umich recursive PTS groups are handy for really
> large sites.

We should be getting those changes in the future (hopefully the near future)

> 2) Administrators who can completely trash your cell, largely without an
>    audit trail.

Would better logging from any of the servers help? If so, do you have ideas
for what you'd like to see?

> After many years of working on medium size AFS installations at various
> insitutions and companies, I have had to use the Carneige-Mellon ADM tool,
> or various home-grown scripts to delegrate administrative authority.

ADM is nice but needs:
-64 bit support
-better documentation (it's been claimed that there is none but I promise
you I didn't learn how to set it up by reading the code)
-general code cleanup

It's taken a back seat of OpenAFS work, which is more generally useful.

-D