[OpenAFS] OpenAFS Project List

Laura Stentz stentz@us.ibm.com
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 17:18:06 -0500

Dear AFS Advocate:

The OpenAFS Advisory Council met last month to discuss the projects tha=
are underway in the community.
The table below summarizes activities and contact points of which the
Council members are aware.  We thought
this information would be of interest to you.  Please let us know if yo=
are working on any other projects that you
would like to add to the list.  In addition, you might want to contact
others who are working on projects that are
similar to yours or of interest to your organization.  We look forward =
your comments.

The OpenAFS Advisory Council

|------------------+--------------+---------------+--------------------=
--|
| Project          | Status       | Priority      | Contact Points     =
  |
| Description      |              |               |                    =

|------------------+--------------+---------------+--------------------=
--|
| Kerberos v. 5    | In progress  | N/A           | Ken Hornstein, Doug=
  |
|                  |              |               | Englert            =

|------------------+--------------+---------------+--------------------=
--|
| W95/98 Port      | In Progress  | N/A           | Shyh-Wei Luan (IBM)=

|------------------+--------------+---------------+--------------------=
--|
| Disconnected     | In Progress  | N/A           | Jim Rees (UMich)   =
  |
| Operations       |              |               |                    =

|------------------+--------------+---------------+--------------------=
--|
| W2K Port         | In Progress  | N/A           | People have        =
  |
|                  |              |               | contributed patches=
  |
|                  |              |               | to make the existin=
g |
|                  |              |               | port build on W2K  =

|------------------+--------------+---------------+--------------------=
--|
| Groups in Groups | In Progress  |               | Peter Honeyman     =
  |
|                  |              |               | (UMich).           =

|------------------+--------------+---------------+--------------------=
--|
| Mac OS10 port    | In Progress  | N/A           | Chaskiel Grundman  =
  |
|                  |              |               | (CMU)              =

|------------------+--------------+---------------+--------------------=
--|
| NFS hardmount    | In Progress ?| N/A           | Phil Moore (Morgan =
  |
| capability       | Available??  |               | Stanley) believes  =
  |
|                  |              |               | this capability was=
  |
|                  |              |               | already added to th=
e |
|                  |              |               | code in 1997.  Phil=
  |
|                  |              |               | will find out how  =
  |
|                  |              |               | this is configured =
  |
|                  |              |               | and share it with t=
he|
|                  |              |               | team.  Craig Everha=
rt|
|                  |              |               | will check at IBM  =
  |
|                  |              |               | too.               =

|------------------+--------------+---------------+--------------------=
--|
| ATM              | In Progress ?| N/A           | Peter Honeyman     =
  |
|                  | Available    |               | (UMich) -  will    =
  |
|                  |              |               | contribute         =
  |
|                  |              |               | Antonelli's ATM wor=
k.|
|------------------+--------------+---------------+--------------------=
--|
| Foreign Principal| In Progress ?| N/A           | Derrick Brashear   =
  |
| in a pts group   | Available    |               | (CMU) will retrieve=
  |
|                  |              |               | this information fr=
om|
|                  |              |               | the info-afs archiv=
e.|
|                  |              |               | Derrick will also  =
  |
|                  |              |               | publish information=
  |
|                  |              |               | on how to set up a =
  |
|                  |              |               | cross-cell         =
  |
|                  |              |               | environment in     =
  |
|                  |              |               | general.           =

|------------------+--------------+---------------+--------------------=
--|
| RxKad v3 (will   | In Progress  | N/A           |Jeff Hutzelman (CMU)=
  |
| allow additional |              |               |                    =
  |
| authentication   |              |               |                    =
  |
| and encryption   |              |               |                    =
  |
| types in AFS)    |              |               |                    =

|------------------+--------------+---------------+--------------------=
--|
| FreeBSD, OpenBSD,| In Progress  | N/A           |Bill Sommerfeld -   =
  |
| NetBSD Ports     |              |               |NetBSD , Peter      =
  |
|                  |              |               |Honeyman (UMich)    =
  |
|                  |              |               |OpenBSD for AFS 3.5 =
  |
|                  |              |               |(Peter will get     =
  |
|                  |              |               |Derrick the OpenBSD =
  |
|                  |              |               |code in March).     =

|------------------+--------------+---------------+--------------------=
--|
| Old PERL 4 API,  | In Progress ?| N/A           | Phil Moore (Morgan =
  |
| wrappers around  | Available    |               | Stanley)           =
  |
| VOS, PT ? admin  |              |               |                    =
  |
| scripts for      |              |               |                    =
  |
| automation       |              |               |                    =

|------------------+--------------+---------------+--------------------=
--|
| Audit tools ?    | In Progress ?| N/A           | Phil Moore (Morgan =
  |
| VLDB audit ?     | Available    |               | Stanley)           =
  |
| cross check      |              |               |                    =
  |
| between VLDB and |              |               |                    =
  |
| file servers     |              |               |                    =
  |
| (VLDB and volume |              |               |                    =
  |
| header           |              |               |                    =
  |
| comparison)      |              |               |                    =

|------------------+--------------+---------------+--------------------=
--|
| Volume Management| In Progress ?| N/A           | Phil Moore (Morgan =
  |
| System ? uses    | Available    |               | Stanley)           =
  |
| relational       |              |               |                    =
  |
| database at the  |              |               |                    =
  |
| back end         |              |               |                    =

|------------------+--------------+---------------+--------------------=
--|
| VECT? tools to   | In Progress ?| N/A           | Jeff Blaine (MITRE)=
  |
| help you manage  | Available    |               |                    =
  |
| your AFS cell.   |              |               |                    =
  |
| AFS tool suite   |              |               |                    =
  |
| written in       |              |               |                    =
  |
| Python.          |              |               |                    =

|------------------+--------------+---------------+--------------------=
--|
| AFSDB Resource   |              | High          |                    =
  |
| Record           |              |               |                    =
  |
| Identification   |              |               |                    =
  |
| (using DNS)      |              |               |                    =

|------------------+--------------+---------------+--------------------=
--|
| Large            |              | High, but     | Peter Honeyman     =
  |
| files/volumes (> |              | difficult     | (UMich).  Note:    =
  |
| 2 GB files, > 8  |              |               | Peter will get work=
  |
| GB volumes)      |              |               | related to this    =
  |
|                  |              |               | effort from Antonel=
li|
|                  |              |               | & his group at UMic=
h |
|                  |              |               | .  Hartmut Reuter  =
  |
|                  |              |               | (Max Planck) may al=
so|
|                  |              |               | have some related  =
  |
|                  |              |               | work.              =

|------------------+--------------+---------------+--------------------=
--|
| Performance      |              | High          | Need to target area=
s |
|                  |              |               | of the greatest    =
  |
|                  |              |               | potential for      =
  |
|                  |              |               | performance        =
  |
|                  |              |               | improvement.  Some =
  |
|                  |              |               | suggestions include=
: |
|                  |              |               | Better warm cache  =
  |
|                  |              |               | performance and    =
  |
|                  |              |               | better write       =
  |
|                  |              |               | performance.       =

|------------------+--------------+---------------+--------------------=
--|
| Back-up --       |              | Medium/High   | Morgan Stanley (Phi=
l |
| documentation on |              |               | Moore, Warren Yenso=
n)|
| interfaces       |              |               | will contribute    =
  |
| available in     |              |               | documentation on   =
  |
| terms of hooks   |              |               | Networker and vosAS=
M.|
| into vendor      |              |               | IBM (Laura Stentz) =
  |
| backup products  |              |               | will check on the  =
  |
|                  |              |               | availability of    =
  |
|                  |              |               | documentation for t=
he|
|                  |              |               | ADSM/Tivoli Storage=
  |
|                  |              |               | Manager interface).=

|------------------+--------------+---------------+--------------------=
--|
| Converting to    |              | High          |                    =
  |
| building with    |              |               |                    =
  |
| autoconf         |              |               |                    =

|------------------+--------------+---------------+--------------------=
--|
| AFS              |              | ???           | Derrick Brashear wi=
ll|
| pioctl/rpc/systyp|              |               | write a proposal an=
d |
| e registry       |              |               | share it with the  =
  |
|                  |              |               | Advisory Council.  =
  |
|                  |              |               | Craig Everhart and =
  |
|                  |              |               | Laura Stentz will  =
  |
|                  |              |               | share the proposal =
  |
|                  |              |               | with the IBM       =
  |
|                  |              |               | development teams  =
  |
|                  |              |               | since OpenAFS would=
  |
|                  |              |               | like IBM's         =
  |
|                  |              |               | participation in an=
  |
|                  |              |               | AFS                =
  |
|                  |              |               | pioctl/rpc/systype =
  |
|                  |              |               | registry to avoid  =
  |
|                  |              |               | overlap in pioctl  =
  |
|                  |              |               | numbers.           =

|------------------+--------------+---------------+--------------------=
--|
| @sys expansion   |              | High          | Derrick Brashear wi=
ll|
|                  |              |               | write up the propos=
al|
|                  |              |               | of "best practices =
  |
|                  |              |               | for using sysname".=
  |
|                  |              |               | Suggested naming   =
  |
|                  |              |               | convention is      =
  |
|                  |              |               | i386_openbsd_28_28.=
  |
|                  |              |               | (Craig Everhart to =
  |
|                  |              |               | have IBM/AFS       =
  |
|                  |              |               | development to     =
  |
|                  |              |               | comment on the     =
  |
|                  |              |               | proposal to determi=
ne|
|                  |              |               | if IBM will follow =
  |
|                  |              |               | the openafs        =
  |
|                  |              |               | convention.)       =

|------------------+--------------+---------------+--------------------=
--|
| A better way to  |              | Medium        | Lyle Seaman        =
  |
| punch through    |              |               | (Spinnaker)        =
  |
| firewalls        |              |               |                    =

|------------------+--------------+---------------+--------------------=
--|
| Changing the     |              | Medium        | Note:  implementor =
  |
| backup and       |              |               | should be aware of =
  |
| read-only        |              |               | migration issues.  =
  |
| convention so    |              |               |                    =
  |
| that we get more |              |               |                    =
  |
| usable characters|              |               |                    =
  |
| out of a volume  |              |               |                    =
  |
| name.            |              |               |                    =

|------------------+--------------+---------------+--------------------=
--|
| Ability to split | ???          | Medium        | ???                =
  |
| and concatenate  |              |               |                    =
  |
| volumes          |              |               |                    =

|------------------+--------------+---------------+--------------------=
--|
|                  |              |               |                    =

|------------------+--------------+---------------+--------------------=
--|
| Modify back up   | ???          | ???           | ???                =
  |
| behavior to be   |              |               |                    =
  |
| the same as      |              |               |                    =
  |
| read/write---i.e.|              |               |                    =
  |
| , backup should  |              |               |                    =
  |
| be another       |              |               |                    =
  |
| context to a     |              |               |                    =
  |
| backup mount     |              |               |                    =
  |
| point            |              |               |                    =

|------------------+--------------+---------------+--------------------=
--|
| Increase Limits  | ???          | ???           | Note:  Groups in   =
  |
| in General (e.g.,|              |               | Groups would help  =
  |
| > 20 entries per |              |               | with the ACL limit.=
  |
| ACL, 32 character|              |               | Phil Moore (Morgan =
  |
| limit on volume  |              |               | Stanley) manages th=
e |
| name, etc.)      |              |               | volume names in a  =
  |
|                  |              |               | relational database=
  |
|                  |              |               | and could contribut=
e |
|                  |              |               | the code.          =

|------------------+--------------+---------------+--------------------=
--|
| Generic @values  |              | ???           | Phil Moore and Trav=
is|
|                  |              |               | Broughton will     =
  |
|                  |              |               | collaborate on a   =
  |
|                  |              |               | position paper on  =
  |
|                  |              |               | generic @ values.  =

|------------------+--------------+---------------+--------------------=
--|
| PERL API work    | ???          | ???           | Phil Moore (Morgan =
  |
|                  |              |               | Stanley).  Phil wil=
l |
|                  |              |               | investigate what is=
  |
|                  |              |               | presented at the   =
  |
|                  |              |               | Garching conference=
, |
|                  |              |               | and has expertise t=
o |
|                  |              |               | contribute as well.=

|------------------+--------------+---------------+--------------------=
--|
| UBIC agreement on|              | Medium/Low    |                    =
  |
| the group leader |              |               |                    =
  |
| (vs. depending on|              |               |                    =
  |
| IP addresses)    |              |               |                    =

|------------------+--------------+---------------+--------------------=
--|
| Other metrics of |              | Medium/Low    |                    =
  |
| evaluating which |              |               |                    =
  |
| file server to   |              |               |                    =
  |
| fetch a read-only|              |               |                    =
  |
| instance from.   |              |               |                    =
  |
| QoS, ping times, |              |               |                    =
  |
| "busy@ flag",    |              |               |                    =
  |
| etc.             |              |               |                    =
  |
|                  |              |               |                    =

|------------------+--------------+---------------+--------------------=
--|
| Re-implementation|              | Low           | Derrick Brashear   =
  |
| of Windows client|              |               | (CMU)              =
  |
| (alternative to  |              |               |                    =
  |
| SMB trick)       |              |               |                    =

|------------------+--------------+---------------+--------------------=
--|
| Win NT Mount (so | In Progress  | N/A           | Paul Hill  (MIT)   =
  |
| you don't need   |              |               |                    =
  |
| /machinename/afs)|              |               |                    =

|------------------+--------------+---------------+--------------------=
--|
| Back up ? BUTC   |              | Low (interface|                    =
  |
| improvements     |              | documentation |                    =
  |
|                  |              | higher        |                    =
  |
|                  |              | priority)     |                    =

|------------------+--------------+---------------+--------------------=
--|
| Unique Server    | May be       | Low           |                    =
  |
| Keys             | achieved as a|               |                    =
  |
|                  | result of    |               |                    =
  |
|                  | RxCAD??      |               |                    =

|------------------+--------------+---------------+--------------------=
--|
| Multiple back up |              | Low (large    |                    =
  |
| volume instances |              | effort        |                    =
  |
|                  |              | relative to   |                    =
  |
|                  |              | return)       |                    =

--|

Laura L. Stentz
Senior Manager
IBM Pittsburgh Lab