[OpenAFS] OpenAFS Project List

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 22:02:09 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, Nathan Neulinger wrote:

> > |------------------+--------------+---------------+----------------------|
> > | Foreign Principal| In Progress ?| N/A           | Derrick Brashear     |
> > | in a pts group   | Available    |               | (CMU) will retrieve  |
> > |                  |              |               | this information from|
> > |                  |              |               | the info-afs archive.|
> > |                  |              |               | Derrick will also    |
> > |                  |              |               | publish information  |
> > |                  |              |               | on how to set up a   |
> > |                  |              |               | cross-cell           |
> > |                  |              |               | environment in       |
> > |                  |              |               | general.             |
> > |------------------+--------------+---------------+----------------------|
>
> Isn't that all automatic with aklog? About the only thing that I could
> see here would be giving the 'fs' command the ability to auto-create the
> principals the same way that aklog does.

Actually, self-registration is already possible with 'pts
create'.  However, it's rarely used, because all the commonly-available
aklog-like tools do it for you.

> > |------------------+--------------+---------------+----------------------|
> > | Performance      |              | High          | Need to target areas |
> > |                  |              |               | of the greatest      |
> > |                  |              |               | potential for        |
> > |                  |              |               | performance          |
> > |                  |              |               | improvement.  Some   |
> > |                  |              |               | suggestions include: |
> > |                  |              |               | Better warm cache    |
> > |                  |              |               | performance and      |
> > |                  |              |               | better write         |
> > |                  |              |               | performance.         |
>
> How about doing something about the horrendous vos-dump performance.
> Surely that can be made faster. Even if it means a 'local only' vos dump
> that has to be run on the server itself.

I seem to recall that results of some performance tests were posted here
or on openafs-devel in the not-too-distant past.  The performance problems
with vos dump appear to be primarily in the dump process itself, _not_ in
the network transfer.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer