[OpenAFS] Re: OpenAFS Project List

Johan Danielsson joda@pdc.kth.se
14 Mar 2001 11:57:55 +0100

"Laura Stentz" <stentz@us.ibm.com> writes:

> |------------------+--------------+---------------+----------------------|
> | @sys expansion   |              | High          | Derrick Brashear will|
> |                  |              |               | write up the proposal|
> |                  |              |               | of "best practices   |
> |                  |              |               | for using sysname".  |
> |                  |              |               | Suggested naming     |
> |                  |              |               | convention is        |
> |                  |              |               | i386_openbsd_28_28.  |
> |                  |              |               | (Craig Everhart to   |
> |                  |              |               | have IBM/AFS         |
> |                  |              |               | development to       |
> |                  |              |               | comment on the       |
> |                  |              |               | proposal to determine|
> |                  |              |               | if IBM will follow   |
> |                  |              |               | the openafs          |
> |                  |              |               | convention.)         |

Since it's `good practice' to include the sysname in per architecture
volumes, this pretty much requires that volume names can be longer
than 32 characters.

And I'm also not so sure you can come up with a universal naming
scheme, for instance on the various BSD's the machine type makes a
pretty good first component, but it might not be the same as used on
other systems.

/Johan