[OpenAFS] "not updating unwritable cache ./config.cache"

Chaskiel M Grundman cg2v+@andrew.cmu.edu
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 15:04:04 -0500 (EST)

Excerpts from internet.computing.openafs.info: 19-Nov-101 [OpenAFS] "not
updating unw.. by Tim Carlson@pnl.gov
> not updating unwritable cache ./config.cache
> [...]
> So my uid is 20679, but file creation is being done as user "bin" since I
> am klog'ed as admin.
>
> Any ideas?

You have two choices.
One is to synchronize your unix and afs uids.
The other is to complain to your os vendor that stat(2) is not an
acceptible substitute for access(2).  Then synchronize your uids anyway
since they won't care. The thing that is failing is:

  if test -w $cache_file; then
    echo "updating cache $cache_file"
    cat confcache > $cache_file
  else
    echo "not updating unwritable cache $cache_file"
  fi