[OpenAFS] MacOS 9

Cameron, Frank Cameron@ctc.com
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 19:04:41 -0500

I work with Barker (who asked about this last week), but in
another department.  We have some data currently housed on
an NT server running Services for Macintosh that needs to
move soon.  To meet our requirements the data should preferably
be moved to AFS (if it cannot; then, we need to engineer
another special purpose solution).  Some of the users who need
this data are currently running MacOS 9 and will continue to do
so until some software is ported to OS X, others are on Windows
boxes.  (We did evaluate running the apps under 'Classic Mode'
but the performance was not acceptable; although, that was the
beta not 10.1.)  So, we need a reliable way for the OS 9
machines to access our AFS cell.

As I see it, we have two main options:

1>  Netatalk gateway
    a)  What version of netatalk should be used?
    b)  Are there any good guides to setting this up?
    c)  Can this be done w/o using clear-text passwords?
    d)  With the Macs going through netatalk, will we have
        problems opening the files from Windows boxes?
    e)  Would OS X clients (native), as they are brought on
        to replace old boxes, have problems sharing the files
        with older Macs or Windows machines?

2>  Samba gateway and Dave
    a)  I have some experience setting samba gateways up.
    b)  Can the Mac obtain tokens w/o using clear-text passwords?
    c)  With the Macs going through samba, will we have
        problems opening the files from Windows boxes?
    e)  Would OS X clients (native), as they are brought on
        to replace old boxes, have problems sharing the files
        with older Macs or Windows machines?

Thanks for any guidance anyone can provide.

-frank