[OpenAFS] afsmodname

Jeffrey Hutzelman Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu>
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 18:17:02 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Michael Robokoff wrote:

> I just upgraded my kernel from 2.4.7 to 2.4.9.
> My afs quit working as a result and I now get
> the following when afsmodname runs.
>
> Hmm...  I can't seem to find an AFS kernel module suitable for your
> Linux
> kernel.  That means you will need to build or obtain a suitable module.
> The following information may be of some use in obtaining assistance:
> CPU Type:        (1)
> Linux version:  2.4.9-13enterprise #1 SMP Tue Oct 30 19:34:18 EST 2001
> RedHat release: Red Hat Linux release 7.2 (Enigma)
> Symbol versions:
>   iget4      smp_fd589ebbprocessor       : 0
>
> What I noticed is it looks like the "get_cputype" part of afsmodname
> does not appear to be working. Notice in the output above that the
> cpu type is not listed only the fpu result is shown. The exact line is

Yeah, the version of afsmodname included in current RPM's is still broken.
This is handled in a different way in later versions, so it should no
longer be a problem.

However, the SymTables shipped in the RPM's also don't use the cputype
matching feature, so this is not the cause of your problem.  Offhand, I'd
guess that the openafs-kernel RPM you installed doesn't include a module
for a 2.4.9-13enterprise kernel.  In order to use OpenAFS with this
kernel, you'll need to install the openafs-kernel-source RPM and build
yourself a new module.