[OpenAFS] xscreensaver locks at 2nd try to unlock

Marc Schmitt schmitt@inf.ethz.ch
Thu, 22 Nov 2001 11:16:47 +0100

Hi all,

I don`t know if this list is the right point to post the problem, but
someone here may have had the same experience and knows how to solve it...

Recently, we moved the NFS home directories of our students to AFS. The
configuration is as follows:

Distro: RedHat 7.1
Kernel: 2.4.9-6
OpenAFS: 1.2.2-rh7.1.1

Content of system-auth:
-----------------------------
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/pam_afs.krb.so try_first_pass
ignore_uid 100 set_token
auth        required      /lib/security/pam_env.so
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok
auth        required      /lib/security/pam_deny.so

account     required      /lib/security/pam_unix.so

password    required      /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so retry=3
password    sufficient    /lib/security/pam_unix.so nullok use_authtok
shadow
password    required      /lib/security/pam_deny.so

session     required      /lib/security/pam_limits.so
session     optional      /lib/security/pam_afs.krb.so remainlifetime 10
session     required      /lib/security/pam_unix.so
------------------------------

Content of /etc/pam.d/xscreensaver (untouched)
------------------------------
auth       required	/lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
------------------------------

The following sequence brings xscreensaver to "lock up" (always
reproducable):

1) log in (GNOME session)
xscreensaver starts with "xscreensaver -no-splash -timeout 3 -nice 20
-lock-mode"
2) click on the lock on the task bar (xscreensaver gets active)
3) enter password to unlock the screen (screen unlocks)
4) click on the lock on the task bar (xscreensaver gets active)
5) enter password to unlock the screen
Here the screensaver will not unlock, it looks frozen with the content
"Checking...." in the password entry field, forever.

The command "ps -elf | grep xscreen" says:
------------------------------
000 S username  5583     1  0  72   0    -  1847 do_sel 10:46 ?
00:00:00 xscreensaver -no-splash -timeout 3 -nice 20 -lock-mode
040 T username  5616  5583  0  70   0    -  1841 do_sig 10:50 ?
00:00:00 xscreensaver -no-splash -timeout 3 -nice 20 -lock-mode

"cat /proc/5616/status" says:
------------------------------
Name:
xscreensaver
State:
T (stopped)
Pid:
5616
PPid:
5583
TracerPid:
0
Uid:
27240
27240
27240
27240
Gid:
99
99
99
99
FDSize:
32
Groups:
34532 42061 99
VmSize:
     7364 kB
VmLck:
        0 kB
VmRSS:
     3896 kB
VmData:
     1432 kB
VmStk:
       24 kB
VmExe:
      220 kB
VmLib:
     5412 kB
SigPnd:
0000000000000000
SigBlk:
0000000000000000
SigIgn:
8000000000001006
SigCgt:
0000000000010000
CapInh:
0000000000000000
CapPrm:
0000000000000000
CapEff:
0000000000000000
------------------------------

This never happened when the home directories were in NFS. The only
thing it reminds me of is the troubles I had when using Nautilus and AFS
home directories. A user could log in exactly once to Ximian, a second
try (without rebooting the machine) would leave the login screen in
about the same state as the screensaver described above. Therefore I had
to uninstall Ximian and use the original Gnome coming with RedHat 7.1.

I tried xscreensaver version 3.29-3 (original) and 3.33-4 (rawhide), no
difference. By the way, the KDE screensaver works fine, it can be
unlocked as many times as one wishes.

Does anyone have an idea how to solve this? Thanks.

Regards,
	Marc