[OpenAFS] Very large caches

chas williams chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 11:28:17 -0500

>Historically ram has been a fairly limited resource.  Nowadays ram
>is dirt cheap so there's little excuse not to load it up.

yes, ram is dirt cheap now.  but disk is even cheaper.  it hard to
buy a drive smaller than 9G anymore.  unless you have a fast network
you would really prefer to keep as much local to your machine as
possible.

>My question is:  Is anyone using ram cache with OpenAFS?  (Or has
>anyone tried yet?)  I think I recall reading here a while back that
>no one knew if it even worked with OpenAFS yet.

i have done quite a bit of testing of memcache under irix.  it works
but you need to make sure your ram cache is big enough.