[OpenAFS] Very large caches

Craig_Everhart@transarc.com Craig_Everhart@transarc.com
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 12:03:43 -0500 (EST)

Excerpts from mail: 27-Nov-01 Re: [OpenAFS] Very large ca.. Mitch
Collinsworth@ccmr. (1194*)

> My question is:  Is anyone using ram cache with OpenAFS?  (Or has
> anyone tried yet?)  I think I recall reading here a while back that
> no one knew if it even worked with OpenAFS yet.

> At last year's AFS workshop at LISA the consensus of folks in the
> room seemed to be that a smallish ram cache was the fastest
> performance to be gotten under IBM AFS.  This was so shortly after
> the OpenAFS code had been released by IBM that there was little or
> no experience yet to be discussed about OpenAFS.

Try to remember that OpenAFS is the same code as IBM AFS in all
meaningful measures, at least at the inception, other than vendor code
that had to be stripped out for legal reasons.  (IBM had rights to ship
binaries based on some vendor data but not to ship/give away source from
vendors.)  I'm sure that OpenAFS memory caches work very similarly to
the way they work with IBM AFS.

Generally, a smallish RAM cache is great for CMs that mostly write and
rarely read (yes there are such uses).

		Craig