[OpenAFS] OpenAFS and MacOS 10.1

William Uther will+@cs.cmu.edu
Fri, 05 Oct 2001 16:25:29 -0400

Hi,
  Two quick notes on OpenAFS on MacOS 10.1:

i)

  I've noticed that the current OpenAFS package (1.2.1) doesn't seem to
work on MacOS 10.1.  Running the OpenAFS script manually gives the
following errors:

# ./OpenAFS
Installed version 1.0.0b1 of dependency com.apple.kernel.bsd is not
compatible with extension org.openafs.filesystems.afs.
Error loading module: one or more dependencies lack compatible versions.
AFS kernel extensions failed to initialize. Skipping AFS startup.

Looks like a recompile on 10.1 is neccessary.

ii)

  The MacOS X package installs the OpenAFS startupitem as
/System/Library/StartupItems/OpenAFS.  I believe this should be
/Library/StartupItems/OpenAFS.

  I moved it on my system and it works fine (on 10.0.4 - 10.1 shows the
above, unrelated, error).  According to my reading of the docs, /System is
supposed to be reserved for Apple stuff.  /Library/System is for non-Apple
stuff.  StartupItems will work from either location.

  I submitted a bug report on this a while back (#526), and then provided
references to Apple's docs when asked.  Is there a reason not to change
this?

later,

\x/ill          :-}