[OpenAFS] passwd synchro

Bernd Markgraf markgraf@neuro2.med.uni-magdeburg.de
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 10:44:58 +0200 (MET DST)

hi,

> first, sorry for sending the previus mail twice, my fault.
> I would like not to synchro the passwords field, but only
> the information about users. I think that OpenAFS needs
> this to know, where users has their home directories? Right?
> If this is not needed, than where can I read more info
> about setup? If its needed, I think NIS can help, or other
> solutions?
i'm running afs and nis+ until now i don't have to synchronise passwords.
i do have my nis tables with all the user information including the home
dir. (set to /afs/<cell>/home/<username>) the only thing i have to take
care of when creating new users is to give them the same user name and
user id in nis- and afs-space. their initial passwords are the same but if
they change one of them they have to enter both passwords upon login
(solaris asks for the login(NIS+) password and then for the afs password)
if the pam setup works correctly. in this case they have to remember two
passwords so it's advisable to have both passwords being the same.
unfortunately i haven't found a way to change both passwords at once so
they have to do that manually.

hth,
  bernd