[OpenAFS] "null realm name not allowed" error on Win2k machine

Stephen Bailey bailey@SLAC.Stanford.EDU
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 12:24:45 -0700 (PDT)

Hi.

I'm running AFS 1.1.1a on a Win2k laptop.  I can obtain tokens
for my local AFS cell (hepl.harvard.edu, server is a RedHat
Linux 7.1 machine), but when I try to obtain tokens for a
remote cell (slac.stanford.edu), I get the error message:

  Error: 97 (code = 97: null realm name not allowed)

Further info:

* Last week I was out at SLAC and my laptop was able to get tokens
  for the slac.stanford.edu AFS cell without a problem when I was
  on their network, using a DHCP address on their network.  Unfortunately
  I didn't try the reverse of getting a hepl token from slac.

* From the hepl server (heplbb01, Linux) I can get a slac.stanford.edu
  token without a problem; it is only under Win2k that I'm having
  problems.

* The following CVS log looks like it might apply.  It is just before
  the 1.1.1a release, but I don't know if this change made it into the
  release or was a on separate branch.

Revision 1.12 / (download) - annotate - [select for diffs] , Mon Aug 6 23:08:01 2001 UTC (2 months, 1 week ago) by shadow
Branch: MAIN
Changes since 1.11: +2 -2 lines
Diff to previous 1.11
DELTA kaserver-krb-udp-construct-well-formed-tickets-20010806
AUTHOR shadow@dementia.org

certain things really want the realm to be set correctly and not just left
blank in tickets; existing krb4 kdcs get this correct. now so do we.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

Stephen