[OpenAFS] any hack to get multiple read/write mirrors

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
19 Oct 2001 11:36:14 -0400

What application do you have that requires a single 1TB volume?
You do realize that you can split different projects, different
home directories, different packages, etc. into their own volumes,
right?

Another question: are two are people in different offices going to be
changing the same file (or set of files) at the same time?  Note that
locking is at the file level, so unless multiple people are sharing
the SAME FILE you may not need the sharing semantics that you think
you do.  Quite honestly, it sounds like you might be better off paying
a consultant to come in and help you design your filestore -- that way
you can tell them exactly what you have in mind in greater detail than
you've been here on the list.

>From what you've said, I don't see why you can't have a file server in
each location that holds the RW volumes (note: MULTIPLE volumes) that
are nominally changed by people in that office.  People at remote
sites will still be able to access that volume over the net.  But
again how well this works depends on your connectivity between offices
and your access/usage patterns (which again you haven't mentioned).

I'm sorry I can't give you more useful help here, but you haven't
given enough detail of your usage/application.

-derek