[OpenAFS] any hack to get multiple read/write mirrors

Zachary Denison zacharydenison@yahoo.com
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 05:10:43 -0700 (PDT)

--- Martin Schulz <schulz@iwrmm.math.uni-karlsruhe.de>

> So what advantages do you want to gain by
> replicating RW volumes?

The advantage is that people could still work with the
full dataset no matter which office they were in.  the
volume is useless to people if its r/o.

>It
> does not help you in case of network outage, since
> the above mentioned
> immeadiate propagation of changes to all offices
> requires a working
> network connection anyway,

This is not true.  It is my understanding, that in the
case of of an outage, each office can continue to work
with "as much of the dataset" that they have, and they
can continue to make changes to it, and then when the
network connectivity comes back, that machine which
was out, will repropagate its changes.

>regardless wether this is
> between client
> (office 1) and server (office 2) or between any two
> servers (office 1
> and office 2).
> Replicating RO volumes is another issue. That way,
> even during a
> network outage, you can at least serve the data that
> was valid an hour
> ago; otherwise, you could serve nothing at all.

No, because r/o data is useless to the people. At
least of I server r/w data during an outage people can
still work with data they have, they just wont see any
"new data" which is fine.

> With regards to server outage, I think that AFS is
> quite stable.

I couldnt agree with you more, which is why I want to
use it.

> Keep your RW volumes in the office they are most
> often changed
> at. Relocation of volumes should not be much hassle.

This is probably what I'll end up doing if I can't
find a way to truly mirror the r/w data.