[OpenAFS] AFS Server & SMP

Jimmy Engelbrecht jimmy-li@e.kth.se
25 Oct 2001 14:02:16 +0200

Nuno Miguel Neves <nneves@di.fc.ul.pt> writes:

> I've been searching this on previous messages, but can't seem to find it. (maybe a bad search :) )
>
> How is the AFS server working with dual processor machines? More
> specifically, I am in the process of buying IBM xSeries 220 machines
> with dual processor, and I would like to know if it is worth buying
> the second processor :).

I do belive that buying 2 servers with 1 CPU each instead of 1 server
with 2 CPU pays better off.

We bought 4 singe-CPU-alphasservers(DS10) a few months ago, they
perform very very well as AFS-servers (250-400 clients), a 2-CPU
mashine would cost more than double the price, i do not belive it
would be better with 2 2CPU-servers instead. Especcially if you have a
lot of replicated data.

of course i dont know anything about pricing of your IBM-machine but i
assume that buying a 2 CPU-machine is at least 60-70% more expensive
that a 1 CPU-machine.

/Jimmy