[OpenAFS] afs cache partion and ext3

Amy Tanner atanner@netaspx.com
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 12:00:17 -0600

On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 12:49:17PM -0500, Derek Atkins (warlord@MIT.EDU) wrote:
> I dont know if it has ever been tried.  It should work fine, I would think.
> I don't think that ext3 changed the inode (iget) interface

Well, I've tried it and I'm getting some strange behavior which may not
have anything to do with the file system type.  I also then remounted
the partition as ext2 and got the same strange behavior, so I'm beginning
to think it's not a file system type issue.

Here's what I'm running now:

RH 7.2 with 2.4.9-7 kernel
OpenAFS 1.2.2 (using openafs-1.2.2-rh7.1.1 RPM)

I have a /usr/vice/cache partition on ext3 but as I said, I also
switched it to ext2 with the same results.

Here's the strange behavior:

If I create a new file using vi, it writes fine.  If I then try to modify
and write out that file with vi, I get a seg fault.  Then, I try to
recover the file using vi -r filename, which appears to work fine,
however, attempts to write out that file result in a messed up xterm.
I'm also not able to kill the vi process.  Note: these same steps
with emacs result in no problems.

Let me know if you have any ideas.  Thanks.
--
Amy Tanner
netASPx