[OpenAFS] Apache WWW Logs to AFS

Mitch Collinsworth mitch@ccmr.cornell.edu
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 13:19:36 -0500 (EST)

It's been a while, but when I did this the biggest problem was that
the web server did not fsync the log files, so recent changes were
not visible on AFS clients other than the web server.  Because of
this, users who wanted to peruse the logs wanted to be allowed to
login to the server so they could see them.

That didn't seem like such a great idea, so I whipped up a short
program that ran continuously on the web server and did basically:

    for (;;) {
        fsync(fd);
        sleep(interval);
    }

at reasonable intervals on the interesting log files.  That satisfied
the log browsing crowd and was really the only issue I can remember
having to deal with.  I don't recall any problems with loss of data.
Logs larger than the cache aren't a problem unless you're using the
arla client.

-Mitch