[OpenAFS] AFS server access from Win2K vs NT

Stephen Bailey bailey@SLAC.Stanford.EDU
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 14:54:49 -0800 (PST)

Hi.

Short version:
OpenAFS 1.1.1a client can get slac.stanford.edu tokens from Windows NT,
but not from Windows 2000, where it complains about the server being
unavailable.  Any ideas?

Long version:
I'm running the OpenAFS 1.1.1a client on several varieties of Windows,
trying to access a remote cell (slac.stanford.edu, servered by
afsdb1.slac.stanford.edu, among others).  When running the client under
Windows NT, I can connect fine.  When running under Windows 2000, it
complains that the authentication server is unavailable (both from DOS and
from the GUI).  Any ideas what the differences would cause it to
work on one version of Windows and not another?

Further info:

* SLAC has a firewall, and I can access the SLAC AFS cell fine
  from Windows 2000 when I'm on the local network inside the firewall.

* Remote access to the SLAC cell works fine from Linux.

* I can access some other cells from Windows 2000.

* Several weeks ago I was getting the error "Null realm name not allowed"
  when trying to obtain a remote SLAC token from Win2K.  This has since
  gone away; I don't know why.

It looks like it is a problem with the server configuration or the
firewall, not the client per se.  But the SLAC admins are Unix
oriented and aren't very happy to chase bugs relating to differing
versions of M$ products.  If anyone has any ideas of what might be
causing the difference, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Stephen