[OpenAFS] Release notes vs. ChangeLog

Jeff Blaine jblaine@linus.mitre.org
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 12:46:03 -0400 (EDT)

> The closest there is is a NEWS file in the top level of the source. A
> volunteer to maintain such a thing would be very useful.

I can't really picture anybody who isn't knee deep in OpenAFS development
activity maintaining such a file.

My reason for raising this topic (I was 99% sure such a thing didn't
exist) is that the lack of a document like this (let's dismiss the
NEWS file for a second since it's not been updated since July 11th and
updating it was not an action item for the 1.2.0 release before the
tarballs went up) ...

  - creates a OpenAFS adoption issue (I, for one, won't touch a new
    release of anything unless I can plainly see in 5 minutes of
    browsing a file what's been fixed, known issues, features added,
    etc)

  - leads to a poor historical account of progress made (f u n d i n g)

Perhaps my first item above leads one to say, "Well then you're not
the kind of person who should be installing it probably".  I don't
buy that.

I certainly understand the time constraints related to this project and
the developers donating their time, but from my point of view, this is
an absolutely necessary evil to be done by someone very much in the know
(or several people) just before tarballs are made.  Well, ideally as
each bug is fixed, feature completed for the release, etc, but yeah...

Less importantly, it also offers a chance to reflect for second and think,
"Well, hmm, what DID we do this time?"

Just something to consider and do with as you all please.  I'm concerned,
not trying to chastise anyone.