[OpenAFS] Win2k afs client unstable

T. Matthew Cocker matt@cs.auckland.ac.nz
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 07:56:29 +1200

Hi

We are running a test lab with 26 win2k machines (sp2) running openafs
1.0.4a. The cell is run on two linux servers running openafs 1.0.4a.  The
cell is kerberized with two MIT krb5 boxes doing the authentication. The
windows clients are configured such that they think the MIT servers are
just more afs database servers. It all worked on my test machine but when I
installed the image on the 26 identical PCs in the lab which are all on the
same subnet (and physical network) about half the machine won't start AFS
or if they do start it the afs will quit after a little while (service
stops). The afsdcell.ini file add the servers in this order

krb1.cellname
afs1.cellname
afs2.cellname
krb2.cellname

I read netbeui not being installed so I installed that, no change. I then
removed all the our cell servers from the ini file and added them back in
in the following order

afs1
afs2
krb1
krb2

wouldn't you know it there clients now start up and the service seems to
run for a lot longer. However if you then try this order in the machines
that worked with the original server order they won't start. Weird!

So I can get the 26 machines working most the time but I don't want to have
to do this when we move to afs in the larger labs. BTW the PC are dual boot
linux and the linux client (using kinit and aklog) never have a problem so
it seems that it is something with our set up that win2k afs doesn't like.
If you remove the krb servers from the afsdcell.ini file the clients always
start but then the uses can't get tokens.

Will upgrading to win2k openafs1.1.1 help? Is this a problems with adding
krb servers as database servers (no problems with authentication once
client running)? I have thought about compiling aklog for windows and
removing the krb servers from the afsdcell.ini but how do you get windows
kinit/aklog into the windows login process? In the future plans for windows
afs would it be possible to choose between a klog and some klog.krb5 for
the afs credentials program?

Cheers,

Matt