[OpenAFS] path oddities (--with-transarc-paths) with 1.2.0

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 15:40:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 19 Sep 2001, Tim Carlson wrote:

> A couple of things I noticed when installing 1.2.0 on a Linux box with a
> 2.4.x kernel and configuring wtih --enable-trasarc-paths
>
> 1) The afs binaries were installed into /usr/afs/bin when I was
> expecting /usr/afsws/bin

In Transarc path mode, you'll get a /usr/afs tree that looks exactly like
you'd expect to find on a fileserver.  This is the same as what appeared
in the root.server tree in Transarc binary releases.

Client utilities (that is, everything that appeared in the top level of
Transarc binary distributions, rather than in root.client or root.server)
will be installed under $(prefix).  Note that Transarc's distributions
never put these files in any particular place; some of their documentation
suggested /usr/afsws, but no code has ever known that path.  If you prefer
to use that path, you can do so by using the --prefix argument to
configure.

> 2) The afs includes were installed in /usr/local/include when I was
> expecting /usr/afsws/include. Same for the libraries.

See above.

> 3) The kernel modules were installed in /usr/vice/etc when I was expecting
> /usr/vice/etc/modload

Yeah, this is still a problem.  Kernel modules are installed in
${afskerneldir}, which in Transarc mode is /usr/vice/etc.  The problem is
that the exact correct location depends on what platform you are building
for.  I'm hoping we'll be able to do better with this in a future release.

> 4) All of these files were installed in /usr/local/sbin instead of
> /usr/afsws/etc

Virtually all modern systems place programs intended to be run by users in
sbin, and reserve etc for configuration files.  If you want to override
this, you can use the --sbindir option to configure.

Also note that you can get something that looks a lot like a traditional
Transarc binary distribution by using 'make dest' instead of 'make install'

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer