[OpenAFS] small problems with openafs rpm, 1.2 w/ redhat 7.1

Todd M. Lewis Todd_Lewis@unc.edu
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 10:17:33 -0400

doug@pnl.gov wrote:

> I believe kpasswd should be kapasswd. kpwvalid is because I don't have
> the server installed.

kpwvalid is used by kapasswd to ensure the new password meets
requirements of the local site. By default, it only tests password
length, but you could add further tests (as we have done on occasion).
If I recall correctly, it only comes into play if it's in the same
directory as the kapasswd program and that directory is only writable by
system:administrators.

> [...] I assume up might be one of the up commands in the server
> (upclient, upserver)

The 'up' utility is a recursive cp that copies ACLs as well as
files/directories. I presume it's called "up" because by default it has
the nasty side effect of "sucking up" entire volumes mounted under
volumes mounted under volumes and spitting the whole sucked up tree into
the target volume/directory. Later versions in OpenAFS have a switch
('-m' I believe) that causes 'up' to recognize and duplicate mount
points rather than traversing them like plain old directories.
  / Todd_Lewis@unc.edu              http://www.unc.edu/~utoddl /
 /(919) 962-5273               Lord, give me patience... Now! /